“Shining Tree” derived it’s name from the Ojibway “Wasasagama”, meaning white wood tree. The Moore family settled here in 1905, opening a general store on West Shiningtree Lake, to trade with the Ojibway on their canoe route and with fur traders.
The ground, having been opened for development, saw lumber mills and mining commence. The General Store became the hub of the area. In 1911, John Moore became the first Postmaster. In 1917, a new store was erected on the south side of Hwy 560, as well as a log one room school. Shining Tree then had two hotels, a boarding house, two lumber mills and five mines in operation.
Al & Wendy Craigie Hwy 560 Shining Tree, Ontario P0M 2X0 Canada
Get in touch